Holy Family Parish began gradually with a request by the few Catholics resident in Franklinton that some provision be made for the regular celebration of Mass here in the town.
The request was sent to Archbishop of New Orleans Joseph Francis Rummel, and to Abbot Columban Thuis, O.S.B., Abbot of St. Joseph Abbey in Covington. The request was granted, and priest monks from the Abbey, and from Annunciation Parish in Bogalusa and St John the Baptist Parish in Folsom, began visiting Franklinton, offering Mass in the homes of Catholics.
In 1945 Holy Family was formally established as a mission with official status as a Catholic Community.
On August 8, 1948, the first Mass was offered in the newly completed church. Over the subsequent years, through the sacrifices of members of the growing community and grants from the Catholic Extension Society, the parish hall was built, and then a wing with classrooms for religion classes. A rectory was built in 1989.
Holy Family has continued to grow and now welcomes over 300 families into the community. Our religious education program now has about 95 youth enrolled.
We have initiated ecumenical outreach in union with Methodist and Baptist congregations in Franklinton to revamp and reorganize the local Help Center Food Bank, and to offer mentoring to youth in the area.
We are always excited to welcome new members into our Holy Family. Come join us in spreading the Gospel!